Continuous Login Loop

Clint Thomas cthomas at Soneticom.com
Thu Sep 7 07:08:14 EST 2006

Hey,

I'm running the latest kernel pull from the mvista powerpc 2.4 dev
source. I built a root file system using Busybox 1.2.0 and the mkrootfs
script by Wolfgang Klingauf (removed all DOS carriage returns). When the
system boots up, i'm getting this output.

Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k init
init started:  BusyBox v1.2.0 (2006.09.06-19:44+0000) multi-call binary
Starting pid 10, console /dev/console: '/etc/init.d/rcS'
Bummer, could not run '/etc/
PowerPC Linux 2.4.26
(none) login: root
Process '/sbin/getty 38400 tts/0' (pid 11) exited.  Scheduling i
PowerPC Linux 2.4.26
(none) login:

it keeps looping through the login every time I try to enter root. I
have the root user in the passwd file, and I believe I have the RFS
setup properly. What would cause this kind of an issue? Is this a
problem related to getty? or just a missing file or device of some kind?
Thanks

Clinton Thomas