Wireless Linux(802.11) for Embedded PowerPC

Chun Chung Lo cclo at astri.org
Wed Sep 6 11:30:00 EST 2006

Hi,

I have also done a such project last year. I used a MPC860SR processor
card, plus an extra tailor-made carrier board (just extend the PCMCIA
interface from the processor card). The design is simple, I just
followed the reference design suggested by Freescale MPC860 user manual.
You can get this manual on Freescale's website.

Then I used a Intersil Prism2 compatible PCMCIA WLAN card (may be a
Compact Flash WLAN card is also OK, but I have never tried this) and
plug into the PCMCIA socket of the carrier board.

In the whole project, I used ELDK 3.0 as my software development
platform (U-Boot, Linux, binutils... etc). And I used linux-wlan as the
WLAN card driver.

But one more thing is I have built 2 of such systems and only tried the
normal WLAN functions (infrastructure, ad-hoc mode) but never AP mode
since the driver and my WLAN card does not support.

Here are some references:

1. WLAN card driver: linux-wlan -- http://www.linux-wlan.org/
2. Freescale MPC860 User Manual: --
http://www.freescale.com/files/netcomm/doc/ref_manual/MPC860UM.pdf