MPC8245 reset register

Reeve Yang yang.reeve at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 10:50:07 EST 2006

LoL, my bad not understanding the humor.

This becomes an interesting topic. I looked at different CPUs, it seems
everyone uses different method to reset itself, and there is no uniformed or
easy for 603e. I searched on google but didn't see anyone have similiar
concern. Actually lots of boxes/systems using MPC8245, why nobody cares
about it? :)

To use watchdog timeout, or gpio port to assert reset line on CPU are not
flexible enough. If using watchdog, I have to enable watchdog and reduce the
timeout length (if it's too long). If using some GPIO device, I'll have to
rely on i2c bus or whatever io interface to write data. Acutally our system
has RESET by a GPIO(PCA9556) port.

Interesting enough, I resolved the problem by writing a data to an invalid
address with hoping for a machine check exception (in fact this is what
u-boot does). Would it be good to make it as a stardard "restart" function
in mpc10x_common.c? If it's acceptable I could send out my patch.

- Reeve