Serial problem with MPC8241-based board

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Mon Sep 4 05:58:25 EST 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Zoltan HERPAI wrote:

> I've recently acquired an Allnet 6250 NAS, which has an MPC8241-based
> board. Since its GPL tarball is not available fully, I began to build a

that's where I'd start from - are at least kernel sources completely
available? If not - would you consider politely asking the manufacturer
for them?

> toolchain based on gcc-3.4.6 and binutils-2.16.1, and an up-to-date
> kernel for it. PPCboot states that this is a Sandpoint 8241 Unity board,
> so the platforms/sandpoint.* was chosen as a starting point, however,
> after rewriting the irq and ioport values in sandpoint.h to the ones
> (irq 137, ioport 0x80004500), no output came out of the serial port.
> After a few days of tweaking around with variables is sandpoint.h, a
> google session revealed that this board is 99% the same as the Buffalo
> Linkstation's is, which has a 2.6.x port also, but those kernels are
> also failing to display any output.

Well, on Linkstation (at least on KuroboxHG) serial port 0 (0x80004500)
has irq 25 under 2.6. So, at least the irq assignment is different...

> Can anyone shed some light on what points should I check and what may I
> have done wrong?

No light, sorry, but some info - Mark Greer (CC'ed) has ported sandpoint
code recently from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc and to using the flattend
device tree, which is a general trend now. He has send his patches to the
list a couple of times. This work also depends on the boot-wrapper
development for non Open-Firmware platforms. I'm trying to do the same for
Kurobox(HG) / Linkstation, based on Mark's work. So, I think, it would be
useful if you could do your port also directly under arch/powerpc too
instead of arch/ppc.

Mark, may I use this opportunity to ask you for your current consistent
snapshot of both powerpc/boot and powerpc/platforms and whatever others? I
can compile a kernel with ARCH=powerpc for linkstation, now I have to find
a way to boot it. My choices are kexec or u-boot. Neither will run
out-of-the-box, so...

BTW, I would be greatful for any help with setting up kexec.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski