Rattler 8347 and USB 2.0

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Fri Sep 1 02:14:12 EST 2006

Greetings,

I have an mpc8347 board here (A&M Rattler 8347).  It shipped with a
2.6.16 patched enough to boot the board, but support for freescale USB
2.0 (ehci) is not present.

Working my way backwards in the mainline kernel tree (2.6.18-rc5), I
found drivers/usb/host/ehci-fsl.c, for FreeScale/PPC EHCI support.

In that module, usb_hcd_fsl_probe() requires an initialized "struct
fsl_usb2_platform_data", which only appears in
arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_soc.c, yet the 2.6.16 patch provided puts the
board in arch/ppc.

My question is, what would be the best way to go about getting
ehci-fsl.c working with this board?

1) Nudge the Rattler port from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc.  One problem
with this is that the rattler uses RedBoot, and reading this,

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-August/024116.html

it looks like arch/powerpc wants to boot from OpenFirmware-like
"flattened device tree" (does RedBoot support this?).

2) Support ehci-fsl.c from arch/ppc.  If arch/ppc is deprecated,
that's a bad long-term solution.  And since fsl_soc.c lives
under arch/powerpc, that doesn't look good either.

Thoughts?

-Jamie