CPM2 SCC/SMC break handling broken

Ricardo Scop scop at digitel.com.br
Sat Oct 28 04:20:22 EST 2006

Hi Laurent,

On Friday 27 October 2006 07:01, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I need to generate a break on a CPM2 SMC serial port (same issue with
> > > SCC serial ports).
> > >
> > > The tcsendbreak() man page states that the function should generate a
> > > break between 250ms and 500ms, but testing showed that the break is one
> > > character long (10 bits in 8N1 mode).
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > CPM_CR_STOP_TX is documented to generate a break of BRKCR characters.
> > > The BRKCR register is initialized to 1, so only 1 break character is
> > > sent, which won't last between 250ms and 500ms.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Could anyone think of a proper solution which would not disturb the
> > > other drivers too much ?
> >
> > Well, one could always set the BRKCR parameter to the maximum number of
> > break characters permitted by it's size, since the break condition will
> > anyway end as soon as the RESTART TX command is issued as a consequence
> > of the tty->driver->break_ctl(tty, 0) call. But I did not test this.
>
> That's a very good idea, but the documentation is a bit misleading here. I
> tested the CPM2 behaviour, and found out that the break will last BRKCR
> characters, even if a RESTART TX command is sent sooner.
>
> The user manual states
>
> "The SMC sends a programmable number of break characters according to BRKCR
> and reverts to idle or sends data if a RESTART TRANSMIT is issued before
> completion."
>
> I suppose they meant that, if a RESTART TX command is issued before
> completion of the break sequence, the SMC will send data at the end of the
> break sequence. This is at least the behaviour I noticed after trying your
> idea.
Too bad.... :( One more good idea to the junk bin.

Hmm, just a wild shot you can try, while you're at that: what about setting
BRKCR to zero and issuing another STOP TRANSMIT, just before the RESTART
TRANSMIT?

Another reasonable shot would be to disable and reenable the transmitter in an
attempt to stop the break sequence; though I don't know what happens to the
SMC state machine in this case.

Too wild guesses? Well, maybe someone at Freescale can have a better idea. :)

Best regards,

Ricardo Scop.