Kernel hangs in console_init()

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Oct 27 04:19:25 EST 2006

wei.li4 at elf.mcgill.ca wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working on linux 2.6.18-rc2 with my mpc875 demo board, I used
> Debugger LEDs to find that kernel stopped in:
> 	while (call < __con_initcall_end) {
> 		(*call)();
> 		call++;
>         }
> which is in console_init() of tty_io.c, what kind of problem could be?
> What's the means of 'bctrl' instruction that I found in its assembler?

It's an indirect function call (i.e. the (*call)(); line) to the address
specified in the CTR register.  You need to find out the value of *call
in order to figure out which function is failing.  There are probably
only a small number of possibilities that are actually configured into
your kernel (look for console_initcall in files that get built for your
target).

-Scott