MPC834x TSECs/Gianfar w/o MDIO accessible PHYs

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Wed Oct 25 04:15:24 EST 2006

Look at the driver in drivers/net/phy/fixed.c.  It probably needs
some documentation, and Vitaly implied it needed a little tweaking,
but it provides the basics of what you need (and what Dan
mentioned).  Essentially, you need to fake the PHY.  However, if you
wanted, you could also get smarter and write a new mdiobus driver,
which handles configuring and using the switch.

I'm not quite sure why your approach isn't working, but I agree with
Dan's suspicions that removing the PHY code doesn't just work.

One thing to check is the adjust_link() function.  You need to make
sure that you have the carrier on, and that the MAC is set to MII
mode, rather than GMII mode.

Andy