how to reserve memory in linux?

Eric Nuckols jrocnuck at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:20:39 EST 2006

>Dear Eric,

>>Have you tried the function
>>
>>alloc_bootmem_low() early in the boot process in main.c ?
>>
>Yes, it sounds reasonable. With this function, I can reserve a large amount
>of buffer during >booting time. But I think maybe it will be better to put
>this function in the device driver and when >booting time, the driver is
>loaded and the memory part is reserved for later use, right?

Actually, you can only do this at boot time before any of the standard
memory setup routines run.
Consult the linux device drivers book and also do some internet research on
the subject to get the "official" documentation of this functionality.  I'd
rather you get the information from these sources than from me, since there
is plenty of room for error when using these functions.

Here's a link I found to the book: (the 2nd Edition)
http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch07.html

Ãâ·ÑÏÂÔØ MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn