how to reserve memory in linux?

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 21:40:04 EST 2006

Dear Rahul,

>why do you think so ?
>Can't you give the physical address of the allocated memory from
>linux
>kernel to peripheral's DMA.?
>Unless you need to hardcode the physicall address i hope
>virt_to_phys(kmalloc_address) can be given to DMA.
>Sorry if i am still wrong in understanding your requirement.

In fact, I have considered this method before. Just to dynamically allocate
such a memory buffer and then tell the peripheral its physical address for
accessing. However, because I really know little about the memory
management in Linux, so I am not sure if the following question could be
guaranteed:
Q. When I dynamically allocate a large amount of memory, I am not sure if I
can allocate a physically continous large amount of memory. For the
peripheral, it hopes the continous physical address, unless it has
scatter-gather function.

I think I must dig deeply into LDD memory management chapter to find the
answer. :)

Of course, I appreciate your idea and suggestion. This is really a
candidate method to solve my problem.

Thanks a lot.
Regards
Ming