About the RFI instruction on Linux Powerpc

Wang Matthew-R59995 Qi.W at freescale.com
Wed Oct 18 22:49:28 EST 2006

Hi folks,

Currently I meet an issue about rfi instruction. Please see the
following source code. This source code is contained at the
head_fsl_booke.h of ./arch/powerpc/kernel directory.

 xori r6,r4,1
 slwi r6,r6,5  /* setup new context with other address space */
 bl 1f  /* Find our address */
1: mflr r9
 rlwimi r7,r9,0,20,31
 addi r7,r7,24
 mtspr SPRN_SRR0,r7
 mtspr SPRN_SRR1,r6
 rfi

I found that rfi instruction can't jump to the address of SRR0. I take
the MPC8555CDS board to do those test. And I don't take U-Boot as
bootloader, while the Vxwerks Bootrom.

I just want to try if Bootrom can bring up the Linux Powerpc kernel.

Any suggestion for that?

B.R
Wang Qi.
E-Mail: Qi.W at freescale.com <blocked::mailto:Qi.W at freescale.com>