plb_temac, ML403, linux 2.4.26, EDK 7.1

Rick Moleres rick.moleres at xilinx.com
Fri Oct 13 01:55:39 EST 2006

Robert,

(I copied the list)

Linux 2.4 support for plb_temac was not added until EDK 8.1.1.  This
driver is not available in the MV Linux 2.4 tree.  So if you want
something (the driver) to show up in libsrc/linux_mvl31_v1_01_b/linux
then you would need to upgrade.

Note also that checksum offload was added to the plb_temac core in EDK
8.1.2 (v3.00a of the core), so using that EDK or later will provide much
better GigE throughput (I think we measured somewhere around 650Mbps TCP
traffic using netperf on Linux 2.4 with checksum offload).

In Linux 2.4 we place the plb_temac driver in drivers/net/xilinx_gige
during the BSP generation process of EDK 8.1.1 or later in order to take
advantage of the jumbo frame config option.  I looked at
source.mvista.com and this directory does appear in the Linux 2.4
repository (rsync://source.mvista.com/linuxppc-2.4).

Hope that helps,
Rick