booting 2.6 kernel on ML403

John Bonesio john.bonesio at xilinx.com
Thu Oct 5 03:09:41 EST 2006

Hi Pradeep,

If you are using the MontaVista/Xilinx driver for sysace for linux 2.6, the CONFIG_CMDLINE item in .config should have

    root=/dev/xsysace2 rw

in it. From the text below it's not clear what driver you are using. If you are using a different driver, you may be able to search for

    #define MAJOR_NAME

in the source code of the sysace driver. I believe that will indicate which device name you should use in the CONFIG_CMDLINE.

As you probably already know, the '2' in '/dev/xsysace2' refers to the partition number it should use - partition 2 in this case.

For Problem 2: Do you see any error leds light up on the board? It's possible that the drivers you are using for one or both of those cores is not meant for the version of the cores you are using. The core most likely to be suspect is the TEMAC soft core, as that has changed recently. Even though you are using the hard TEMAC core, there is a soft wrapper around it to connect it up to the bus and what not. This soft wrapper has changed from version 2 to version 3 not too long ago. While the TEMAC driver that MontaVista has (and I believe posted to this mailing list) is for version 2 of the soft TEMAC core.

Hope this helps,

- John