platform flash for Xilinx ML403

Aleck Lin aleck at gdatech.com
Wed Oct 4 12:24:28 EST 2006

Hello,

Can anyone help with my questions on platform flash for Xilinx ML403?

>From what I understand, I can use platform flash to store my FPGA bitstream
file and my software application elf file, so it's like using an ACE file
through the CompactFlash, except I just need to set the configuration
address through DIP switch and then push the PROG button on the board
(provided it's set to Platform Flash mode) and then the software application
would start running. Is this correct?

If it's correct, then how would I be able to program the Platform Flash? Do
I program separate bit file and elf file, or do I program an ace file or ??
I have the ML40x Getting Started Tutorial in which there's a section on how
to program my own flash image. But I couldn't really understand some things
in it, such as a PROM file, or adding file to Revision no. and etc. Can
someone help or point out a more detailed document?

My eventual goal is to be able to use the platform flash to start u-boot and
then boot linux image, which will be stored in linear flash. I think I have
all the parts ready (u-boot image, uImage, and hardware bitstream), but just
lack of the understanding to put in this particular configuration.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Aleck