Compact Flash - lost interrupt

Muruga Ganapathy gmuruga at gdatech.com
Thu Nov 30 14:10:58 EST 2006

The error message might be due to the wrong/improper configuration of
interrupt and its attributes like whether it is level/edge sensitive.

G.Muruganandam

> Hello,
>
> I'm bringing up the Compact Flash interface on a custom board and am
> almost there, but not quite.  I've seen many messages in the past
about
> the 'lost interrupt' message, but I couldn't find anything
corresponding
> closely to my situation.  Can anyone shed some light?
>
> Here's a snippet of Linux booting:
>
> *******************************
> ## Booting image at 00200000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-2.6.17
>    Created:      2006-11-29  19:38:51 UTC
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    1103335 Bytes =  1.1 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
> Using MPC834x SYS machine description
>
> <snip>
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
> ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx
> hda: TOSHIBA THNCF512MDG, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0xd1064000-0xd1064007,0xd106600d on irq 20
> hda: max request size: 128KiB
> hda: 1000944 sectors (512 MB) w/2KiB Cache, CHS=993/16/63
>  hda:<4>hda: lost interrupt
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: lost interrupt
>  hda1
>
> <snip>
>
> prism login:
>
> *******************************
>
> As you can see, the device is found and eventually the IDE driver
> assigns it ID hda1, but something's amiss.
>
> When I try to partition the drive I get the same thing:
>
> ~ # fdisk /dev/hda
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: lost interrupt
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 512 MB, 512483328 bytes
> 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 993 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1         992      499936+   6  FAT16
>

> The Compact Flash is configured in 'True IDE' mode on the local bus
of a
> 400MHz MPC8349 processor.  I've set the UPM timing according to the
> Toshiba app note that's floating around, and the interrupt is tied to
> IRQ4 (Interrupt #20).  The fact that the driver probe can read
> information about the drive tells me that the memory bus is at least
> marginally functional.  Interrupts are firing:
>
> ~ # cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   9:        127   IPIC   Level     serial
>  14:          0   IPIC   Level     i2c-mpc
>  15:          0   IPIC   Level     i2c-mpc
>  16:          0   IPIC   Level     mpc83xx_spi
>  20:         12   IPIC   Edge      ide0
>  21:        547   IPIC   Edge      eth2
> BAD:          0

> [...]

GDA Technologies, Inc.
1010 Rincon Circle
San Jose CA, 95131
Phone	(408) 432-3090
Fax	(408) 432-3091

Accelerate Your Innovation

=====
This message contains information from GDA Technologies Inc and
affiliates, and is intended for the sole use of the individual and
entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information, including
any attachments, that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you
are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If
you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy
all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including
attachments.
====