Using Linux on ML405: Some basic questions

Peter Mendham petermendham at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 21:52:32 EST 2006

alayrac wrote:
> <----> I have a few questions, I was wondering if someone could help me
> <----> out:
> <---->
> <----> 1) I don't really understand how the kernel image gets loaded from
> <----> the .ace file.  I've seen articles which say that the SystemAce
> <----> controller puts the kernel image directly into RAM, but on
> <----> inspection of the datasheet I can't see any capability other that
> <----> JTAG programming and acting as a slave to a processor.  Can anyone
> <----> explain the way this works?
>
> XACCACE can load an ace file from a FAT16 partition into the FPGA fabric
> using boundary scan chain (JTAG).
>
> First of all it loads the FPGA fabric, the bitsream file. If you have a
> look in Applications in the ML405 project there should be a bootloop
> code marked as activated and as used to initialized BRAM.
> This code is loaded at address 0xFFFFFFFC (where there is a BRAM) wich
> is the reset address of the powerpc. Thus after bitstream dowload, the
> powerpc is in an infinite loop so that it won't try to access any
> peripheral, especially memory.
>
> Then systemeace will downlaod the elf file, in your case the kernel
> image (it could be standalone apllication as well as uboot).
>
> To do so the systemace take controle of powerpc through jtag chain (just
> as you are dowing with the JTAG cable when you are debugging you code on
> powerpc inside the FPGA). In fact the FPGA fabric include a JTAG daisy
> chain, so that the PowerPC is seen on JTAG chain after FPGA
> initialization (if you start an xps design from scratch you will see in
> the wizard that you can select the debug chain of your powerpc from JTAG
> or stub...)
>
> So just to finish, as soon as system ace can see the PowerPC through
> JTAG, it can see and use all powerpc peripherals and espaecially the
> memory in your case. So it read the destination address of the elf image
> to laod (from the elf file itself) and just copy the data at the
> specific address. Then it put the PC at this address and sart the
> powerpc.

Wow.  Thanks Chris, that makes a lot of sense, although I had no idea
that the SystemAce chip was quite so clever.  I take it that the
bitstream in the .ace file is specially constructed by the tools to do
the DRAM download?  What is it that produces the text:
loaded at:     00400000 004E21E4
board data at: 004DF13C 004DF154
relocated to:  00405660 00405678
zimage at:     00405C25 004DE92F
avail ram:     004E3000 04000000
I have always assumed that it is a piece of software that does this.  Is
that correct?

Thanks very much for replying, the information is really helpful.
-- Peter