Hardware/Software Debugging - general PPC405 Q.

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Fri Nov 24 19:27:00 EST 2006

    I have been trying to add hardware/software breakpoints to the elf
loader I am using for Linux on the Pico E12/E14 boards.
    I have had no trouble setting up an exception handler - I found
several including the one inside the kernel to "borrow" from.
    Using the Xilinx/IBM PPC reference I have had no problem setting a
breakpoint - either by replacing an instruction with a trap, or by
setting  the IAC registers.
    I have no problem catching the exception  - exactly as I expected.
    But despite the fact that I have cleared the dbsr, dbcr0, esr, and
the appropriate bits in the msr/ appropriate srr for the exception,
     I can not exit from the excretion handler (back through restoring
registers (except for the above changes) , without having the exception
re-occur again at exactly the same place.
    I have poured over the Xilinx/IBM docs looking for something I am
missing, some bit I need to wiggle, ... but can't find anything.

    Is anyone aware of a clean example dealing with ppc405 software
debugging (or something similar enough to be useful)  that I could use
as a reference ?
    Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing ? Or a mailing list
that might be a more appropriate target this question ?

    I have pasted a trace of what I am seeing - the trace is my own code
- part of the software debugger I am trying to build into the bootloader.
    The trace at each exception only shows the registers that have
changed since the last display.

    MonitorK.elf is the debugging version of my boot loader.
    Anything prefixed with a "!" is a command to MonitorK.

File MonitorK.elf updated from C:\Pico\MonitorK.elf.
!boot -vvTS kernel.elf
Entrypoint: 0x000064e0 Cmdline @ 0x0fff0200: <>
    lr=0x000064e0     r3=0x0fffb000     r6=0x0fff0200
r9=0x10000000   srr0=0x000064e0  dbcr0=0x08000000
  iac1=0x000064f0     r1=0x0fff0000
DBCR0: IC
Traps:    0x000064ec

Program Exception 00000007 @ 000064ec
   bch=0x0fff010c    blr=0x07000780     pc=0x000064ec
cr=0x40000000    r11=0x0006fa3c   srr0=0x000064ec
   esr=0x02000000    tsr=0xc4000000   dbsr=0x98100300  dbcr0=0x09000000
DBSR: IC TDE UDE IDE
DBCR0: IC TDE
ESR: PEU
TSR: ENW WIS
Traps:    0x000064ec
000064ec: 41820008 bc      12,2,0x8

!step
Program Exception 00000007 @ 000064ec
   tsr=0x04000000   dbsr=0x90100000
DBSR: IC TDE IDE
DBCR0: IC TDE
ESR: PEU
TSR:
Traps:    0x000064f0
000064ec: 41820008 bc      12,2,0x8

!step
Program Exception 00000007 @ 000064ec
   tsr=0xc4000000
DBSR: IC TDE IDE
DBCR0: IC TDE
ESR: PEU
TSR: ENW WIS
Traps:    0x000064f0 0x000064f0
000064ec: 41820008 bc      12,2,0x8

!step
Program Exception 00000007 @ 000064ec
   tsr=0x04000000
DBSR: IC TDE IDE
DBCR0: IC TDE
ESR: PEU
TSR:
Traps:    0x000064f0 0x000064f0 0x000064f0
000064ec: 41820008 bc      12,2,0x8

I can get this to repeat pretty much infinitely with nothing changing
except TSR_ENW and  TSR_WIS

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein