BDI2000 with MPC5200 and userspace programs

Andy Gospodarek andy at greyhouse.net
Thu Nov 16 01:51:10 EST 2006

On 11/15/06, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Erwin Haese <ehaese at moog.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > thinking about ordering a BDI2000, in the information about the BDI2000 it
> > is broadly mentioned to be capable debugging the kernel.
> > Is it also possible to debug Linux user space programs with BDI2000 in a
> > similar way as it is possible with gdbserver running on the target system?
>
> I don't think so, but why would you need to?

It is (I've done it), but it can be tricky.  I did it a while back
with a 2.4 kernel on a 8245-based board.  If I remember correctly the
trick was to set a breakpoint inside a kernel call (I used an ioctl)
that came from your userspace app and then map the userspace
executable to start at address 0x0.  After that you are able to set
breakpoints in the user-space app and do whatever you need.  After
doing it I remember seeing a description of basically the same steps
online somewhere.