Possibly OT: bdi2000 virtual memory on 2.6 kernel

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Nov 15 08:32:18 EST 2006

Dan Malek wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:
>
>> Debugging a 2.6.18 kernel on a powerpc target
>
> Which processor, specifically?
> What do your MMU XLAT and PTBASE configuration
> lines look like?
>
> Thanks.
>
>     -- Dan

Hi Dan

Running a 859T processor with the following bdi2000 config lines
MMU     XLAT
PTBASE  0xf0
WSPR    149     0x0082000F

in .config (for the kernel build) I have
CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH=y

Memory dumping 0xf0 - its pointing to abatron_pteptrs which contains the
  pointer to swapper_pg_dir as expected so it all looks OK.

What I'm NOT doing is using a hardware breakpoint to get beyond the
decompress stage and then loading the vmlinux image before proceeding.
I'm just loading up vmlinux in ddd, allowing uboot to tftp the kernel
binary in and decompressing it and then just letting it rip. This
approach seems OK as far as maintaining breakpoints across multiple runs
goes, so I assume its OK.

--
Robin

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.