2.6.18 fails in call_usermodedata() on 8xx

Jim Heck jsurf at heckheck.com
Wed Nov 8 17:17:51 EST 2006

Robin,

Could you provide some more details of your problem with dma_alloc_init
for the 8xx.  I posted a few days back on Saturday about problems I was
having getting an RPXLiteDW (based on the 823) to work with a late
2.6.xx kernel.  I had traced the problem down (working without a probe)
to problems with cpm_dpalloc() and cpm_dpram_addr() in the allocation of
DP Ram buffers for the network loopback device.  DMA rings a bell since
the failure occurred near where the /arch/ppc/8xx_io/enet.c driver is
calling  dma_alloc_coherent().

The details on what code you had to change in the kernel, and the
problems you were seeing might help me greatly.

Thanks for any help,

-Jim Heck