Problem connecting a Ti TUSB2077a hub to Cypress SL811 host

Chaffin, Michael mchaffin at microsatsystems.com
Wed Nov 8 04:07:04 EST 2006

I have a running 2.4.26 Linux kernel (penguinppc.org) on a commercial
built embedded PPC405 (Xilinx VirtexII Pro) attached to a Cypress SL811
shown to work, I am now trying to attach a Texas Instruments TUSB2077a
Hub chip. When I first attach the hub to the host on Data +/- (pins 7 &
8) the host recognizes the hub and then reports "USB device not
accepting new address (error=-110)

** SNIP **
		/dev # cd /mnt
		/mnt # insmod usbcore.o -f
		Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
			usbcore.o was compiled for kernel version
2.4.26-msi
			while this kernel is version 2.4.26-pre3
		Warning: loading usbcore.o will taint the kernel: forced
load
		  See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for
information about tainted modules
		Module usbcore loaded, with warnings
		/mnt # insmod -f sl__
		/mnt # insmod -f sl811.o _[J
		Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
			sl811.o was compiled for kernel version
2.4.26-msi
			while this kernel is version 2.4.26-pre3
		Warning: loading sl811.o will taint the kernel: no
license
		  See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for
information about tainted modules
		Warning: loading sl811.o will taint the kernel: forced
load
		Module sl811 loaded, with warnings
		/mnt #
		; MSC - External Hub is identified
		; MSC - And reports over-current on three of the four
available ports
		hub.c: port 2 over-current change
		hub.c: port 3 over-current change
		hub.c: port 4 over-current change
		; MSC - Host controller unable to set USB address on new
HUB
		; Hub is disconnected and un-reachable from this point
on
		hub.c: USB device not accepting new address (error=-110)
		hub.c: error resetting hub 2 - disconnecting
** SNIP **

At this point the hub is completely un-responsive, but re-plugging the
hub will return the same results. If I have a thumb drive attached to
the hub, before I plug the hub into the host controller, I see the thumb
drive properly but exit with the same error "USB device not accepting
new address (error=-110).

** SNIP **
		usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x781/0x7104) is not
claimed by any active driver.

		; MSC - Thumb drive is enumberated
		  Length              = 18
		  DescriptorType      = 01
		  USB version         = 2.00
		  Vendor:Product      = 0781:7104
		  MaxPacketSize0      = 64
		  NumConfigurations   = 1
		  Device version      = 10.33
		  Device Class:SubClass:Protocol = 00:00:00
		    Per-interface classes

		Configuration:
		  bLength             =    9
		. . . . .
		  bInterval           =   00

		; MSC - Host controller unable to set USB address on new
HUB
		; Hub is disconnected and un-reachable from this point
on
		hub.c: USB device not accepting new address (error=-110)
		hub.c: error resetting hub 127 - disconnecting
** SNIP **

What am I doing wrong?

Michael S. Chaffin
Satellite Test Engineer