execve of /sbin/init fails

Jeff.Fellin at rflelect.com Jeff.Fellin at rflelect.com
Wed May 31 06:54:51 EST 2006

                      "Anantharaman Chetan-W16155"
                      <Chetan.S.Anantharaman at motorola.com>                      To:       <linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org>
                      Sent by:                                                  cc:
                      linuxppc-embedded-bounces+jeff.fellin=rflelect.com        Subject:  execve of /sbin/init fails
                      @ozlabs.org

                      05/30/2006 15:59

>Hi,
>I am trying to bring up a custom board with a PPC405 processor running
Linux 2.4.20 (MontaVista Release) and am >having problems with the call to
execve(“/sbin/init”, argv_init, envp_init) not returning in the file
main.c. The processor >just hangs and there is no output on the terminal. I
have tried to see if I can run “bin/sh” and even this execve call does >not
return. Some things about the board are, the networking option has been
disabled in the Linux .config file. I am >running U-Boot 1.1.1 as the
bootloader and am downloading the uImage (compressed kernel) and the
initrd.boot >(filesystem) into RAM and accessing the filesystem in RAM.
 Chetan, I would check the contents of the initrd filesystem you created to
verify the files are in the image. If they are monitor the console output
to verfiy the ramdisk filesystem is found and installed into ram.
Jeff Fellin

>Any help as to what could be causing this to happen or how to debug this
issue would be appreciated. Also, I’ve tried >to capture the return value
of the execve call but since the call does not return, this has not helped
any.

Thanks,
Chetan Anantharaman