execve of /sbin/init fails

Anantharaman Chetan-W16155 Chetan.S.Anantharaman at motorola.com
Wed May 31 05:59:59 EST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to bring up a custom board with a PPC405 processor running
Linux 2.4.20 (MontaVista Release) and am having problems with the call
to execve("/sbin/init", argv_init, envp_init) not returning in the file
main.c. The processor just hangs and there is no output on the terminal.
I have tried to see if I can run "bin/sh" and even this execve call does
not return. Some things about the board are, the networking option has
been disabled in the Linux .config file. I am running U-Boot 1.1.1 as
the bootloader and am downloading the uImage (compressed kernel) and the
initrd.boot (filesystem) into RAM and accessing the filesystem in RAM.

Any help as to what could be causing this to happen or how to debug this
issue would be appreciated. Also, I've tried to capture the return value
of the execve call but since the call does not return, this has not
helped any.

Thanks,

Chetan Anantharaman