Linux kernel thread with Linux 2.6.x

almoeli at gmx.de almoeli at gmx.de
Tue May 30 23:17:56 EST 2006

Hi,

do you have to use the semaphore or does a spinlock also meet your needs?
If you are in kernel 2.4 you can use one of the task_queues (e.g the
scheduler queue, timer and immediate queue also run at irq context) but
that won't have a better speed than your solution because it also gets
the processor when tasks are scheduled (all 10ms I think). In 2.6 it
would be the work_queue (schedule_work()).
So the best way is to use spinlocks and do the work in a tasklet at
interrupt context.

Oliver