LXT973 support (dual PHY with single MDIO)

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at tbox.biz
Tue May 30 18:48:01 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to bring up the two ethernet ports on a LXT973 dual-PHY chip. I've
declared two FCC platform devices, which are detected and handled by the
driver/net/fs_enet driver. My issue comes from MDIO support.

The LXT973 has a single MDIO port which answers to two addresses, one for each
PHY. The MDC and MDIO lines are connected to GPIO pins (no PHY interrupt), so
I'm using the bitbang MDIO driver. I've declared a MPC82xx_MDIO_BB platform
device, and set bus_id to "0:00" for both FCC ethernet devices. The first
ethernet device works fine, but the second complains that the PHY is already
in use.

As the PHY read/write accesses are protected by the bus->mdio_lock, I thought
about declaring a second MDIO platform device using the same I/O pins as the
first. Does anybody knows any problem I could run into using that approach ?
Is there a better method to handle the LXT973 MDIO ?

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart