Tri-mode or gigebit ethernet support problem in ML403

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 18:22:46 EST 2006

Hi Grant,
I want to ask you a problem about the 1000M ethernet support. Now I am
trying to integrate a linux (2.4 or 2.6) in my ML403 platform, with
tri-mode ethernet support. And I have downloaded many versions of linux,
including linuxppc_2_4_devel, MontaVista linux 3.1 Preview
Kit(v2.4.20_mvl31-ml300), and linux-xilinx-26. Unfortunately, I didn't find
any option in the menuconfig item Network Device Support->ethernet
(1000Mbit) for me to enable the 1000M ethernet in all three versions. So I
have the following questions to ask.

1. With Xilinx Virtex 4 tri-mode ethernet MAC support, which version of
Linux shall I use? I think I should choose a version with Xilinx On-chip
Ethernet supported in the 1000M ethernet item in menuconfig.

2. Assume that you can provide me a proper version. Shall I use Xilinx EDK
to generate the BSP for my platform and copy the source code to overwrite
the drivers in the original version. Then configure the kernel and enable
1000M ethernet (choose Xilinx on-chip ethernet). Then compile the
kernel...... Are these steps correct?

Thanks for your help. I am really confused about this problem. Also others
who can help me are welcome. :)

Best Regards
Ming