I2C bus issues on MPC8248

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Sat May 20 02:37:26 EST 2006

Hello Laurent,

on Thu, 18 May 2006 14:33:58, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> I'm trying to use the MPC8248 hardware I2C bus in a 2.6.16 kernel. The
> mailing
> list archives mention a driver for the MPC8260
> (http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-May/022837.html) which I
> modified to reflect the memory map differences between the MPC8260 and the
> MPC8248, as mentionned in the e-mail.
>
> The good news is that the driver works. The bad news is that it doesn't work

OK.

> correctly.

:-(

> The Linux I2C layer probes the I2C bus for peripherals when drivers are
> loaded. The probing function writes a single byte with the device address and
> check if the data is acked. I monitored the SCL and SDA lines using an
[...]
> Using that code, no data is sent on the bus, the BD_SC_READY bit is never
> cleared and no interrupt is generated. Once again I suspected a CPM bug when
> writing a single byte on the bus, so I increased cbd_datlen to 2:
>
> tbdf[0].cbd_bufaddr = __pa(tb);
> tbdf[0].cbd_datlen = 2;
> tbdf[0].cbd_sc = count ? BD_SC_READY | BD_IIC_START :
>                  BD_SC_READY | BD_IIC_START | BD_SC_INTRPT |
>                  BD_SC_LAST | BD_SC_WRAP;
>
> This worked, and two bytes were written on the bus, leading me to believe that
> the CPM was at fault.

I don t know, if this is a CPM Bug, but it seems so to me ...

> Has anyone noticed the same behaviour ? Is there a workaround available ? I
> tried searching Freescale's website for CPM microcode updates but haven't
> found anything related to the I2C controller.

Yes, Holger Speck had the same problem. He solved it by doing the following:

If the cpm_iic_write is called with count = 0. He made a read with count = 1

I think this is safer than writing 2 Bytes to the Slave.
Could you try this?

Best regards
Heiko