Viable PPC platform?

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Wed May 10 21:11:41 EST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006 10:15:20 -0700
Eugene Surovegin <ebs at ebshome.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:41:01PM +0100, Alex Zeffertt wrote:
> > On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:38:19 -0400
> > geneSmith <gd.smth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a ppc405gpr system with 64M ram and 4Meg flash in a
> > > AM29LV320. Is this a viable platform for linux? Can a filesystem
> > > (JFFS2?) be put this flash type?
> > >

> > I would create an initrd and put every file that doesn't need
> > to be changed persistently into it instead of JFFS2.
>
> After many years of doing embedded Linux stuff I still don't
> understand why people are so fond of initrd.
>
> For temporary stuff - tempfs is much better and flexible. For r/o
> stuff - just make separate MTD partition (cramfs, squashfs) and
> mount it directly as root. Both options will waste significantly
> less memory.

Okay, let me qualify my answer.  It depends on whether you need to
make persistent changes to the filesystem in flash.  If so, and given
that your flash is only 4MB, I would recommend moving files to
somewhere else, e.g. an initrd, because if when a JFFS2 FS is
approaching full, you often find that writes to flash hang
while JFFS2 searches for blocks to use as a scratchpad.  This has been
my experience anyway.

If you don't need to make persistent changes to files, then I'm sure
cramfs in flash as a rootfs would work well, with a tmpfs partition
mounted on /tmp and /var.

Alex