Calculating virtual address from physical address

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Sun May 7 04:43:05 EST 2006

Thanks for your reply; I found it very useful and interesting. Now, I have a whole bunch
of questions.

You said that the temporary TLB entries setup in head_4xx.S will eventually be replaced.
Where is the code that creates these new TLB entries later on? Are the 'real' TLB entries
only created once, and persist for as long as the system is running, or do TLB entries
change often while the system is running?

Do you know what state the MSR will be in at this point in the code? I know what the
power-on reset state is, but I'm wondering if it'll be in a different state by the time we
get to this point in head_4xx.S.

When you suggest disabling instruction or data address translation, is that just so I
could access my hardware directly, or is there some other reason?

You were enabling the MSR bits, one at a time, and found that the machine check was
causing the hang (I'm assuming that's what you meant by 'sent me to space'). Was the idea
there to just isolate what type of exception was causing the hang, or were you looking to
make some permanent changes to the MSR? Is a machine check interrupt caused by trying to
access an address that doesn't have a TLB entry?

Can you point me to some information about Grant's platform bus changes that you were
talking about? I am using a custom V2Pro board, and I'd be interested to see if this code
is something I should be looking at.

Thanks alot,
Chris

href='http://www.dlasys.net'>http://www.dlasys.net</a>
> fax: 1.253.369.9244 			           Cell: 1.717.587.7774
> Over 25 years' experience in platforms, languages, and technologies too numerous to list.
>
> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of
genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."