Calculating virtual address from physical address

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Sat May 6 09:35:56 EST 2006

Chris Dumoulin wrote:
> My LEDs are at address 0x4F600000 and my CONFIG_KERNEL_START is
> 0xC0000000. If this address were low enough, I would just add 0xC0000000
> to the address to get the virtual address, but since my LED address is
> so high, the sum will be well past the 32-bit maximum address value. How
> is a virtual address calculated for a high address like 0x4F600000?

    There are macros tophys and tovirt  that convert addresses between
physical and virtual. There are use example in the head_4xx.S file you
are already in.

    If you are going to use a port for debugging you need to create a
tlb entry for it.
    Same file in initial_mmu the code inside the if
defined(CONFIG_SERIAL_TEXT_DEBUG) should provide an example how to do that.

    Be forwarned that any entries you create now will eventually
disappear (took 2 weeks to figure that out once), but that may not
happen intil after /init starts.

    Also with a little of jiggering arround the bits in MSR_KERNEL you
can enable Data address translation independently of instruction address
translation as well as disable or enable a variety of
    checks. It took me three weeks to get a new Xilinx V4 board through
the rfi and to start_here in the same turn_on_mmu code you are working on.

    Eventually I ended up enabling the MSR bits one at a time until I
discovered that enabling the Machine Check sent me to space.

    Regardless, once I relialized I could test the code with the MSR
bits enabled one at a time isolating the problem became easier.

    The two issues I addressed above which relate specifically to your
efforts with the ml300, constituted more than 80% of my effort to get a
Xilinx Virtex 4 running.

    Finally, I started prior to grants platform bus changes. I have been
adapting my V4 code to fit with Grants changes (the client has what they
want so they do not care)
    I have not put alot of effort into this, but I currently get
waylayed much later in new platform bus specific initialization code.
    I had no problem with the older board specific initialization code.

    If you are running on a real ml300 I am surprised you are having any
problems though I do not have an ml300 to check that.
    But if you are running on a custom V2Pro board you have to get the
board specific initalization right and therefore could trip over the
issue I am currently having migrating from old to new.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein