kernel debugging

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Thu May 4 19:20:52 EST 2006

    Everyone has their own debugging style.

    Engineers seem to like hardware debugging tools. I have used some
very fancy debugging hardware, but except for extremely rare instances
it is more work to get setup
    and figure out what you are trying to do than inserting some
debugging and rebuilding.

    My idea of debugging hardware is a port with an LED on it I can try
to blink.

    I also only rarely use software debuggers.

    Most of the time when things go off the rails the critical question
for me is Where did things go wrong. Once I know that usually the
problem is obvious and I do nto need dumps of variables or memory.

    I also do development across numerous platforms, OS's and languages.
I need debugging tools and techniques that are broadly portable. A
hardware debugging tool might help with board bringup, but it would be
of little use
    for web or perl programming. Investing time and capitol in highly
specialized tools or knowledge requires being narrowly focused to get a
worthwhile payback.

    Regardless, I think debugging is a sort of religious preference. You
need to know who you are and what you need. Other peoples experience is
useful but should not be determinative.