Kernel for MPC Lite 5200 will not compile

John Rigby jcrigby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 03:29:56 EST 2006

Sent this to Wolfgang last night.  Accidently omitted Syvain and the list.

The actual bestcomm "microcode" in Sylvain's tree is the same as the latest
Freescale supported code.  The linux driver code that interfaces with it is
code written by Dale Farnsworth and has Montavista copyright.  I don't know
if it is based on old Freescale (Motorola) code or if it is Dale's creation
(perhaps Dale can comment).

I have just spent some time getting UDMA support into the ATA driver using
the the bestcomm code in Sylvain's tree.  In the process I found some bugs
in the code that may explain some problems people have seen with the FEC
driver.  I'll try to get the patch out tomorrow.

The ATA driver is a port from a version that worked on an older kernel and
used the supported Freescale Bestcomm code.  I did the port because it was
my understanding that attempts to get the supported Freescale code into a
public tree had met with resistance in the past.  (Second hand info, I'm
actually fairly new to the 52xx world).

The pluses for the Freescale version is that several devices are supported
that are not in Sylvain's tree.  The version in Sylvain's kernel has a
generic api plus specific code for FEC.  My upcoming patch fixes some bugs,
adds some missing functionality that I need for ATA and adds the specific
ATA dma driver code.

The biggest minus for the Freescale version is that it is really opaque.
Its implementation makes it hard to figure out what the code is actually
doing.

If there is a chance of getting the Freescale Bestcomm code into Sylvain's
tree (and on up the line to Linus) I would welcome that since I would not
have to port other Bestcomm dependent drivers to the version in Sylvain's
tree.  I would gladly port the current FEC code to the Freescale Bestcomm
code to avoid the work of porting the other drivers.  Also we at Freescale
would prefer to have one version of the Bestcomm code circulating.

So I guess my question for those with an opinion is what version of Bestcomm
should be we use for 5200.

Thanks for your input
John