Kernel for MPC Lite 5200 will not compile

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 30 07:11:28 EST 2006

Dear Matthias,

in message <20060329153941.GD95498 at server.idefix.loc> you wrote:

> i tried the following trees:
> linux-2.6.15 (from kernel.org)
> linux-2.6-denx (from cg-clone http://www.denx.de/git/<project_name>)

MPC5200 support known to be broken in these two.

> linux-2.6-denx-git (see above)

Does not exist...

> linuxppc_2_4_mpc5200 (see above)

Is NOT a git repository and marked as obsolete.

The only stable tree we offer  for  5200  is  the  linuxppc_2_4_devel
tree.

> > > I copied the file arch/ppc/configs/lite5200_defconfig to .config, and
> > > tried the following one:
> > > make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- uImage
> >
> > That's not the official way to build images.
>
> oh, sry I played with crosscompiling the firt time, it would be a
> pleasure for me if you could correct me.

Read the README, and probably the DULG. You missed at leat the  "make
oldconfig" step which is essential.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Blast medicine anyway!  We've learned to tie into every organ in the
human body but one.  The brain!  The brain is what life is all about.
	-- McCoy, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4