Interpreting /proc/meminfo. How much free memory do I have?

antonio.dibacco antonio.dibacco at aruba.it
Mon Mar 27 20:38:22 EST 2006

I don't understand the meaning of "Inactive". They are not used but the
kernel cannot give this memory to a requesting process because we tipically
don't have a swap device on a linux embedded board. Where we can store the
Inactive page? Am I wrong?
If I run a process that continuosly allocates memory and print out the total
allocated memory when it receives SIGINT or SIGTERM, I think I get the real
"free memory"!

Bye,
Antonio.

Eberhard Stoll Scrive: