MTD physmap issues trying to map flash

Randy Smith rsmith at imagemap.com
Sat Mar 25 00:32:50 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get my flash memory to show up as an mtd device in
my 2.4.25 kernel and I get the following error:

physmap flash device: 0 at 0
__ioremap(): phys addr 00000000 is RAM lr c000f67c
Failed to ioremap

My hardware is based on the Icecube reference design but uses one
Spansion S29G128M-R2 16 MByte flash chip at physical address 0xff00000.
I am using u-boot 1.1.4 and the flash operates correctly in that
environment (after some tweaking).  I am using a vanilla 2.4.25 linux
kernel from DENX's ELDK 3.1 and I have tried almost every incantation
regarding MTD configuration but no joy.

Some questions:

1.  Does 2.4.25 expect the physmap_map structure to be populated by
u-boot and if so, where should I look in u-boot to make that happen?

2.  I am assuming that this chip is CFI compliant and should show up
with that probing (and AMD support) enabled.  Does it matter if turn on
both CFI and JEDEC probes?  Or put another way, why should I have to
probe if this information is passed by u-boot, if it is?

3.  How does the partitioning (command line) of the chip effect the
recognition of the chip?

4.  What should I put in the physmap menuconfig line for the physical
address and size of the chip?  I am using 0xff000000 and 0x01000000.  Is
this correct and something else is broken?

5.  Is there a patch to the kernel or u-boot that addresses this type of
failure?

Thanks,

Randy Smith
Software Engineer