software-triggered reset of MPC8541

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Mar 23 02:05:39 EST 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Dan Wilson wrote:

> My apologies for asking a question in this mailing list that is
> somewhat off-topic, but this is the best list I know of for such a
> question:
>
> We are trying to implement a software function to reset an 8541.
> The ELDK 4.0 kernel includes an abort() function that does this by
> setting the appropriate bits in DBCR0.  In our tests, this
> unfailingly reboots the unit.  A colleague has put an identical
> function into a non-linux-based application on which he is working,
> and finds that most of the time the unit reboots as expected, but
> sometimes it just hangs.
>
> My question is: does the linux kernel do anything special to
> prepare the processor environment for this reboot prior to calling
> abort()?  The only thing I could find was a call to
> local_irq_disable(), which does:
> static inline void local_irq_disable(void)

The problem is there is no good way of actually resetting the full
8541 from software without additional logic on whatever system you
have.  The abort() is a poor mans way which is only actually
resetting the E500 core.  The rest of the system logic is left in
whatever state it was before.

What you really need is to determine if there is some way to effect
and board logic you may have that handles the HRESET_REQ signal.

> {
> #ifdef CONFIG_BOOKE
>         __asm__ __volatile__("wrteei 0": : :"memory");
> #else
>         unsigned long msr;
>         __asm__ __volatile__("": : :"memory");
>         msr = mfmsr();
>         SET_MSR_EE(msr & ~MSR_EE);
> #endif
> }
>
> As the 8541 is an E500 core, I believe it is the #ifdef
> CONFIG_BOOKE code that is being executed.  The wrteei 0 instruction
> is clear enough.  What does the rest of that line do (i.e., the
> repeated colons and the memory command)?  I haven't been able to
> find a memory command in the ppc instruction set documents that I
> have?

The "memory" reference is more about GCC's assembler syntax than
anything PPC specific.  Take a look at the GCC does for inline
assembly to find out more.

- kumar