Stable Linux kernel 2.6 for MPC8XX

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Wed Mar 15 01:58:28 EST 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 15:01, Dan Malek wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2006, at 2:50 AM, David Jander wrote:
> > I don't know why, but while everyone still says 2.6 is slower, I am
> > consistently getting results that seem to prove the opposite. Why?
>
> Because this is a compiler test and not an OS test.  The
> newer ELDK with 2.6 has better compilers.

No. Please read the cited e-mail entirely before jumping to such a conclusion.
I used the same ELDK for both kernels, and I didn't recompile the nbench
binary ever again after the first time.

The reasons are different, still unknown and apparently my fault. See my

Sorry to all for the confusion, looks like I must learn to be more careful
when benchmarking.

To keep the answer short: nbench performs exactly the same on both kernels, as
one would expect, since nbench doesn't stress the kernel. I was looking at
incorrect results, trying to blame the cache/tlb management... I was just
wrong, sorry.

Greetings,

--
David Jander