Virtex-4 TEMAC device driver available?

Yoshio Kashiwagi kashiwagi at co-nss.co.jp
Fri Mar 10 05:10:07 EST 2006

Hello Steve San,

Although I was performing porting for the reference design of
xapp902 shown in the following URL, I have noticed that the
temac circuit of this xapp902 cannot perform control of PHY.
The temac circuit of this xapp902 does not have control of PHY.

http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp902.pdf

As a result of consulting with our client, our client newly
creates their original temac based on xapp807 design of the
following URL. It is because the function is insufficient
using Linux in this xapp897 design.

http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp807.pdf

Since I created the temac driver of their design, the release
of the driver to ML became impossible to me.

Best Regaeds,

Yoshio kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

> Hello Steve San,
>
> Strictly, GSRD differs from TEMAC.
> Although both are embedded TEMAC is used in Virtex4, GSRD accesses
> direct memory through MPMC. MPMC is a multi-port memory controller
> for GSRD to access direct memory.
>
> http://www.xilinx.com/esp/wired/optical/xlnx_net/gsrd_download.htm
>
> Download of GSRD is linked out of the above-mentioned URL, and
> becomes a place to be logged in (Registration for downloading the
> reference design short cut).
> http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_entry2.jsp?sMode=login&group=gsrd
>
> Linux2.4 driver is contained in this GSRD. However, this Linux2.4
> driver (adapter.c) has the fault which does not operate correctly,
> when a 100BASE hub is connected. In order to correct this problem,
> it is necessary to add the interrupt handling routine of PHY.
> Although this GSRD is a reference design more nearly high-speed
> than TEMAC, many FPGA resources are used for it.
>
> I am going to create a TEMAC driver (Linux2.6) by a scratch, I
> cannot make time for it now. Since it is due to make by the end of
> this month, if it is completed, I'll announce it to this mailing
> list.
>
> I'll write the Linux2.6 TEMAC driver corresponding to the following
> reference designs.
> http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp902.pdf
> http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp902.zip
> (The Linux driver is not contained in this reference design)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems
>
> > Dear Kashiwagi-San,
> >
> > I noticed in your posting over at linuxppc-embedded in Jan 2006
about
> > Xilinx demo code for the TEMAC driver.
> >
> > So, I pulled the
> > http://www.xilinx.co.jp/ise/embedded/EDK/71i/mpmc_7_1_2.zip file and
> > browsed it.
> >
> > Do you know where one can get a patch for Linux 2.4?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Steve Egbert
> >
> > --
> > GPG Public Key: http://www.egbert.net/pgp