Calling PCI Autoconfig again

Wyse, Chris chris.wyse at windriver.com
Wed Mar 8 01:17:11 EST 2006

Hi,

This code will do the rescan of the PCI that we need for the FPGA.
However, it currently only supports a single execution after the FPGA
gets loaded.  Additional calls will continue to add FPGA devices to the
PCI device list data structure.  I'm going to make some changes to it to
handle multiple calls and to support multiple device ids.  I'm expecting
it to take a day or two, but I'll make an initial cut at it today that
will let us load the Spartan FPGA (only once).  This driver will be
loaded when the kernel boots, so I believe that we'll just need to make
a call into it (we won't have to dynamically load it like the phob
driver).

Michael,

For the FPGA loader, you should load the FPGA, then make a call to
pci_rescan_bus0() (I'm renaming check_hw() to pci_rescan_bus0()).  Next,
you need to do a pci_find_device() to detect the newly loaded FPGA.  If
the pci_find_device() fails, assume that the FPGA load has not
completed, so delay for some time frame (100 ms??), then rescan again.
If still not found, rescan up to MAX_PCI_RESCANS (probably set it to 3)
times, then return an error that the FPGA load failed.

Chris Wyse
Member of Technical Staff
Embedded Technologies
860-749-1556 office