GNU and Freescale MPC83xx / e300 core support?

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Tue Mar 7 16:52:08 EST 2006

All,

Our meetings with Freescale were aimed specifically at the differences
between the MPC8280 and the MPC8360E. The most obvious core difference is
the Floating Point unit; the MPC8280, 603e or G2LE core had no floating
point ability at all.

I am not sure if its core support or not, but I know the MPC83xx line up has
drastically altered the bus architecture inside the chips. There are more
DMA engines now, and things like the DDR SDRAM bus and 60x / local Bus are
separated to run in parallel. Previously, in the 8260/8280 they were
mutually exclusive for bus cycles. Internally the shared bus now operates at
the DDR frequency, shortly to be DDR2 frequency for later masks. We should
see a very large performance improvement for memory intensive applications.
Same applies to the PCI 2.2 bus; it was also given separate pins and DMA
engines. According to the Freescale FAE the chip can handle simultaneous bus
cycles on all three busses at once. I do not have enough internal knowledge
on the compilers to know if this is a specific optimization, but it would
definitely hinder performance if we couldn't take advantage of it.

Freescale claims their newest revision of Metrowerks is optimized for these
newer cores, I guess one could get compile with a version of that and
disassemble it.

Aside:
I know the CPM of the older 82xx lineup has been removed, and so has the
optimization for its access to the 32 bit local bus. The QUICC engines have
replaced it and now have equal priority to all busses, though this probably
has little to do with the compiler.

Of random, if anyone is using the 'E' revisions of the 83xx lineup,
Freescale is claiming that the encryption engine is almost 10x faster than
their previous lineup of sister encryption chips that would normally partner
with the MPC8260 and MPC8280 chips.

I have another meeting tomorrow with Freescale, I can get more specifics.

-Russ