GNU and Freescale MPC83xx / e300 core support?

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Tue Mar 7 12:57:41 EST 2006

I was recently involved in a meeting with a Freescale FAE, which informed us
that the current revisions of the GNU C/C++ compilers do not yet possess any
optimizations for the MPC83xx cores, more precisely no optimizations for the
e300 cores inside the MPC83xx line up.

They did say it was 100% backwards compatible with the existing 603e / 6xx
core support, so all the code should work just fine.

I was curious if anyone out there was aware of any efforts to produce /
patch any of the GNU compilers to have optimizations for these newer
MPC83xx's with the e300 cores?

Thanks,

-Russ