How to quickly write cleanmarkers to jffs2 partitions?

Jaap-Jan Boor jjboor at aimsys.nl
Mon Mar 6 23:21:24 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:08 +0100, Mathieu Deschamps wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "When preparing a flash partition for JFFS2, it is recommended to put
> cleanmarkers to the erased blocks.
> This might be done my means of "-j" option of the "flash_eraseall" MTD
> utility. Otherwise, JFFS2 will re-erase the blocks
> which contain all 0xFF and have no cleanmarker. This is an unneeded wasting of
> time."
>
> Source : http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/jffs2.html
>
> does this may be relevant ?

This is correct, however flash_eraseall does also (as it's
name suggests, erase all flash blocks, which takes
some time on NOR flash. If you 'know' the flash is erased,
it's not needed.
I used flash_eraseall to write the cleanmarkers, but without
erasing blocks (and called that utility cleanmark)

Jaap-Jan