Where to store the Linux kernel.

Frank D Lombardo lombardo at mdivac.com
Sat Jul 29 00:48:00 EST 2006

Ming,

I have the XPS generated bootloader in bram. The bram is located at the
reset vector. The XPS bootloader loads U-Boot s-records from linear
flash into ram and then executes it. U-Boot can then handle booting the
Linux Kernel image (uImage, not zImage.elf) from linear flash.

XPS can program the linear flash for you. In XPS 8.1 the menu option is
"Device Configuration | Program Flash Memory". I use this to program the
U-Boot s-records and the Kernel uImage to linear flash.

I have not tried to put both the download.bit and Kernel uImage into
platform flash, so I can't comment on that.

Frank