caches on Virtex 4

Martin, Tim tim.martin at viasat.com
Thu Jul 27 07:18:53 EST 2006

Robert,

There are several registers/etc that affect the caches on the Virtex4
PPC core.

Step 1 - Make sure your FPGA is configured to have caches in the memory
regions you're interested in caching.  Your FPGA designer should have
done this in the EDK (check options in the MHS file).

Step 2 - Make sure the individual cache regions are enabled.  Look at
the Xilinx standalone BSP to see how this works, or read the processor
manual.  E.g. xcache_l.c (a Xilinx standalone BSP file) in
XCache_EnableDCache modifies SGR, DCWR, and DCCR SPRs.
Xcache_EnableICache modifies SGR and ICCR SPRs.

Step 3- Make sure the cache configuration register (CCR0) is configured
correctly.

By default, I'm pretty sure you only need to worry about Step 1, as I
thought Step2 and 3 were handled by the kernel early in the boot process
and/or u-boot.