Endless "Trying 100/HALF" messages using FCC ethernet on MPC8248

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Wed Jul 26 04:46:29 EST 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 04:39, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm not sure if this issue is ppc-specific, so forgive me if it
> should have
> been reported to the drivers/net/phy maintainer.
>
> When using the MPC8248 FCC ethernet ports, the following messages
> are printed
> by the kernel on the console when a link is down (ethernet cable
> unplugged):
>
> Trying 100/FULL
> Trying 100/HALF
> Trying 100/HALF
> Trying 100/HALF
>
> This goes on forever, with a new message every 5 or 10 seconds. The
> message is
> printed by drivers/net/phy/phy.c at line 463.
>
> Those messages are pretty annoying. Commenting the pr_info() call
> gave me some
> rest, but a proper fix is probably needed.
>
> For the record, I'm using FCC1 and FCC2 with an LXT973 phy in bit-
> banging
> mode.

There are two bugs at play, here.  One of which has been solved by a
patch, which hasn't been accepted yet.  However, there's still a bug,
in that the PHY layer assumes that autonegotiation will complete if
the link is down.  I  believe you only see the message if you bring
up the interface while the link is down.

I'm working on a fix for this.

Andy