Endless "Trying 100/HALF" messages using FCC ethernet on MPC8248

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at tbox.biz
Mon Jul 24 19:39:01 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this issue is ppc-specific, so forgive me if it should have
been reported to the drivers/net/phy maintainer.

When using the MPC8248 FCC ethernet ports, the following messages are printed
by the kernel on the console when a link is down (ethernet cable unplugged):

Trying 100/FULL
Trying 100/HALF
Trying 100/HALF
Trying 100/HALF

This goes on forever, with a new message every 5 or 10 seconds. The message is
printed by drivers/net/phy/phy.c at line 463.

Those messages are pretty annoying. Commenting the pr_info() call gave me some
rest, but a proper fix is probably needed.

For the record, I'm using FCC1 and FCC2 with an LXT973 phy in bit-banging
mode.

Laurent Pinchart