Boot problem on Sandpoint

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Sat Jul 22 05:58:38 EST 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:49:14AM -0700, Benoit Lajoie-Dorval wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have to port Linux on a Sandpoint Board wtih a MPC8241 processor on.

Tell your boss that it'll take 3 months including lots of overtime,
then crack open a beer!  The sandpoint/8241 has been working for years.

> built a kernel using linux 2.6.15 and create an zImage.initrd.elf with a
> ramdisk. All of this (linux and ramdisk) was packaged with ELDK 4.0. I also
> minimized everything in the .config file to only have what is really
> necessary (serial port, 6xx processor, etc). The communication is made with
> the board by its internal serial port and Dink32 is used to do everything
> else.
>
> The problem is that when I execute the loaded zImage.initrd.elf, the boot
> sequence just hangs there and I just don't see anything happening. There is
> nothing that is displayed. I know that the elf file as an offset header of
> 0X10000, so the problem is not there. I also put some breakpoints and trace
> using Dink32 to see where it stops and it may have something to do with the
> disable_6xx_mmu in the utils.S file.
>
> I just really don't know what's wrong in my config and I hope someone could
> help me on this.

Well, you did lots of things that could have broken it.  Go back to
square one: default .config with nfs mounted rootfs.  Get that to work
then tune the .config and add a ramdisk.

Also, if you have a bdi2000 or some other jtag/cops debugger, you can
dump __log_buf and see if there is anything there.

Mark