I2C with bus muxes

Travis B. Sawyer tsawyer at broadcom.com
Fri Jul 21 01:22:34 EST 2006

Ben Warren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone implemented devices like the Philips PCA954x I2C bus muxes
> under the /sysfs device model?  I have some optical transponders on my
> board that through the wisdom of some committee all have the same fixed
> I2C address.  To get around this, we put them behind muxes, creating
> 'virtual' I2C busses.  I imagine this could be modeled something like
> the USB hub model, but that's just a first stab.

Ben:

I have a driver for 2.4.x that works with our SFP/XFPs.  We also have a
bunch of other 'stuff'
hanging off of muxes.  I haven't given it a go on 2.6, but I have it
compiled and it doesn't complain on
startup.

Not sure if I should send it here, as it won't be in patch form...

Lemme know if you want a look-see,

Travis