440gx GPIO

Ed Goforth egoforth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:20:33 EST 2006

On 2/14/06, Eugene Surovegin <ebs at ebshome.net> wrote:

> Try writing the same GPIO output register value as you read from it
> (without clearing bit 11). Also, try changing some other GPIO bit
> (e.g. one which is not connected in your design). Maybe board hangs
> exactly because you set GPIO bit 11 low :).

Bingo!  The board wasn't actually hanging.  When we set GPIO11 low, it
is supposed to reset our on-board FPGAs.  One of the FPGAs controls a
TX disable signal.  And the (current) default on a reset is to leave
the TX disable low, hence no network after a FPGA reset.  Doesn't work
well with a NFS root :)