82xx_io UART BRG's vs BUS CLK

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Mon Feb 20 23:22:17 EST 2006

Everyone,

Found a bug in the Linux 2.4.25 -> 2.4.26 and perhaps newer PPC kernels.

However, thanks for the U-boot tree, as it already had the fix. Thanks to
those who had hinted at something like this already. I have tested this out
and it works good for me on a MPC8280, with U-boot 1.1.2 and DENX Linux
2.4.25.

I don't have a patch file but the change is real simple if someone would
like to provide one.

/linux/arch/ppc/8260_io/commproc.c there is this bit of code.
--------------------------------------
/* This function is used by UARTS, or anything else that uses a 16x
 * oversampled clock.  */
 void cpm2_setbrg(uint brg, uint rate)
 {
         volatile uint   *bp;

         /* This is good enough to get SMCs running.....
         */
         if (brg < 4) {
                 bp = (uint *)&cpm2_immr->im_brgc1;
         }
         else {
                 bp = (uint *)&cpm2_immr->im_brgc5;
                 brg -= 4;
         }
         bp += brg;
         *bp = ((BRG_UART_CLK / rate) << 1) | CPM_BRG_EN;
 }
I recently put the correct frequency in U-boot to pass to linux, i.e.
66,666,666Mhz instead of 66,000,000Mhz. And this broke the BRG setups and I
could no longer run 115200 Baudrate.

So after looking around, I found that the Uboot 1.1.2 and newer code already
has a modified version of this code, and that it works correctly. Thanks
DENX!

See correct code below: note the cd--
void m8260_cpm_setbrg(uint brg, uint rate)
{
	volatile uint	*bp;
	uint cd = BRG_UART_CLK / rate;
	if ((BRG_UART_CLK % rate) < (rate / 2))